Pamela,
Relentless, record-breaking heat has scorched communities across the country this summer. Millions of people faced dangerous temperatures, punishing energy bills, and nights that brought little relief.
As a meteorologist for more than 40 years, I know how dangerous extreme heat can be. So timely, accurate information is critical. A reliable forecast gives families time to prepare, cities time to open cooling centers, and public officials time to warn those most at risk.
When a heat wave, a flood, or a hurricane strikes, early warnings provide something precious: time. Time to evacuate. To find shelter. To check on your elderly neighbor or bring children somewhere safe.
But Trump and Republicans are dismantling the lifesaving systems that allow us to track dangerous conditions and communicate quickly with communities.
With elections approaching, voters will choose between leaders who will defend lifesaving public services, confront the climate crisis, and invest in safer communities -- and those who will continue to tear our protections away.
If you've stored your info with ActBlue Express, we'll process your contribution instantly:
Pamela, I got into meteorology because I believe science can help people. Throughout my career, I have watched forecasting become more precise and more powerful. I have seen how timely, trusted information can save lives -- and the true cost for our communities when that information comes too late.
Now, decades of progress are being put at risk for political gain.
Trump and his Republican allies cut staff and resources from NOAA and the National Weather Service. They weakened FEMA, draining the agency of experienced personnel as extreme weather gets more and more destructive. They continue to deny the climate crisis and roll back the clean energy policies we urgently need.
We can’t allow our leaders to make our communities less safe without a fight.
Thank you,
John Morales
Meteorologist and Co-Chair, Climate Urgency Campaign
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.